These are the basic terms and conditions of Red Onion Design Limited, for when you commission us to work for you. We generally avoid signing contracts if possible, however, so you’re fully aware, we’ve listed below some of the most important considerations.

Displaying work
We reserve the right to display creative work on Red Onion Design and social media in order to promote our services. This is work that becomes public by handing out to employees, general or specialist readers, the public, or any other associated companies and parties, and is not expressly marked as private and confidential, or shows any confidential information. If need be we can hide confidential information and still display the work. We avoid signing contracts that limit this. If you ask us to, we will keep private any development work, or work that is shown only to a small band of employees, for example.

License to use work
All design work created for you comes with a perpetual exclusive license from Red Onion for use by your company only. Any additional agreements we make to revoke this, come into force once the work has been paid for.

Design assets
Aside from what we’ve agreed to provide to you, all the original design files created by Red Onion remain with us. However, for an agreed fee we are happy to release the original indesign, photoshop files etc. along with ownership of the intellectual property. Once assets are provided it’s up to you to ensure you have the relevant copyright for images, fonts etc. as there are different rules dependent on usage.

Charges for late payment
For new clients we expect a non-refundable 50% of payment half way through the job. For all work we expect the full payment within 7 days of completion of the work, based on an agreed completion date, and a clear understanding of the remit of the work required. For large companies with complex invoicing systems, we can negotiate on how many days before full payment is expected.

Please be aware that according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998, ‘freelancers’ are entitled to claim £40 late fee upon non-payment of debts after this time, at which point a new invoice will be submitted with the addition of this fee. If payment of the revised invoice is not received within a further 7 days, additional interest will be charged to the overdue account at a statutory rate of 8% plus Bank of England base of 0.5% totalling 8.5%. Parties cannot contract out of the Act’s provisions.

Created Tuesday 22 January, 2019.